Monday, April 4, 2011

Teaching vs. Shepherding


As I worked outside this weekend, I began my offensive against all thorn bushes in our yard... or most of them. I've learned that the thorn bushes (even without movement) will ambush or attack in some way, shape, or form without your knowledge. Once that thorn is in your flesh it becomes a pain and nuisance. Either the thorns keep you from fulfilling your job or the deter you frustrate you.

I've come to a point where I am becoming ultra frustrated with my job. At what point do I stop being a shepherd and become a teacher? And at what point do I stop being a teacher and start being a shepherd? Teaching Bible at a Christian school is almost a thorn in my flesh... is it because I hate it??? By no means! I get two things I love- teaching the Bible and hanging with teens.

But as of lately, I've been struggling with this concept. Maybe it was today, maybe it's a build up of things, but I felt more attacked today because I filled the teacher role and not the shepherd role. As I continue to pursue God's will in my life, it almost seems certain that He has placed a desire in my heart that is not being fulfilled. Every time I challenge the students with an assignment, they find it rather legalistic and an attack on their "personal" relationship with God. I don't know what God has in store for me, but to put it as Switchfoot did, I fell "there's gotta be something more to what I'm living for".

With all this said, I'm not sure what God has in store for me, but I know that God has a good and perfect plan, and that I will become a better person from it. To God be the glory for all that has and will be done... I will trust in Him.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry that you are feeling discouraged and unsettled. Pleas know that you are in my prayers, Jason. I think you are making a great impact on the kids at Faith. Be encouraged and know that God is using us even when it doesn't seem like it, and people's responses are disappointing or even frustrating. ~Mel

    ReplyDelete